Thursday, February 25, 2010

My way

Family room. Mommy and Bean are building skyscrapers with Lego's. Mommy is building while Tommy watches.

Bean: "Mommy, you aren't doing it right."

Mommy: "Well, I'm doing it this way. This is the way I want to do it."

Bean: "But Mommy, that isn't the way Poppop does it."

Mommy: "Well, I'm doing it my way. Not everything has to be done the way Poppop does it sweetie."

Bean: "But Mommy, Poppop's way is the right way."

Mommy: (trying to mask her irritation) "Look it, I grew up having to do everything Poppop's way. Now that I am all big and grown up I get to do things my way."

Bean: "But Poppop says his way is the right way."

Mommy: (staring at her child in complete disbelief and wondering if there isn't some conspiracy going on and if perhaps little Bean has been coached by his Grandfather to give Mommy a hard time) "Well, Poppop isn't here so we get to do it my way. My way is fun. Watch."

Bean: (index finder tapping his mouth - his thinking pose) "No, I think we should do it Poppop's way. It's better to do it the right way."

Mommy: (sighs, feeling completely defeated) "Ok. But if Poppop asks, make sure you tell him that we did it my way."

Bean: "Ok Mommy."

3 comments:

  1. LOOOOOVE this blog Alli. I am addicted already! The nicknames are great- I especially love 'goobs'! Can't wait to read more ;).

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand the confusion. Why take the effort to do something if you don't do it the RIGHT way (sadly, I have used this line on my husband after a attempt at vacumming). Is this why you call him St. Jess?

    love u

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps "Pop-pop" is spending too much time with Bean. Mom will have to stay home with him more! I can attest to the fact that "Pop-pop" heard an awful lot about doing things the right way growing up from his dad.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete