Friday, March 5, 2010

Creamed Chicken

Daddy has just come home. Mommy is trying to get dinner ready. Bean is in the family room, playing with trucks.

Mommy: (let's out a lamenting sigh) "Remember when I used to cook real food. I would find a new recipe and say "hey, this sounds good" and then I would just make it. Any day of the week. Remember that?"

Daddy: "I have a vague recollection of it. But, I'm afraid my taste buds have forgotten."

Mommy: "I miss cooking. Not throwing something together in 30 minutes. I miss reading recipes, shopping for ingredients, taking time to actually cook. I used to be really good at it."

Daddy: "Yeah, you were a good cook."

Mommy: "Were?"

Daddy: "Well, you aren't bad. You know, just a lot of the same. It's not your fault. That's how kids are. If it were up to Bean, he would have creamed chicken every night, not just once a week."

Mommy: "Do we really have it every week? Oh no! We're those people we are always reading about and seeing on tv! We are a punch line! Same thing for dinner every week. We're in a rut. Next week I'm going punch things up a little. Watch out."

Daddy: "Ooooh. Sounds exciting."

Bean: (loudly from the other room) "Mommy, is dinner ready yet?"

Mommy: (to Bean) "Not yet, I'll let you know."

Daddy: "What are we having tonight?"

Mommy: (pauses, looks at the pot on the stove, then looks at her husband sheepishly) "Creamed Chicken."


Creamed Chicken
6 tbsp butter or margarine
6 tbsp flour
2 tsp chicken essense (or chicken stock base)
1 tsp garlic powder
3 cups lowfat milk warmed (or 1 1/2 cup chicken stock and 1 1/2 cup lowfat milk)
4 boneless chicken breasts

In double broiler, melt the butter. Add flour, chicken essense and garlic powder. Whisk together and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk whisking the entire time. Cook sauce until thickened. While sauce is cooking, cube the chicken breasts. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan and add chicken. Cook chicken pieces until chicken is fully cooked (about 10 minutes). Add chicken to sauce. Cook both together for in double broiler 20 minutes stiring occasionally. Serve over rice.

Over-used Recipes Swap

No comments:

Post a Comment